Welcome to the Megan Kocher Wedding and Event Design, LLC Blog. We are glad you are here. Cozy up and get to reading. We have a lot to share with you and are here to offer straight forward, practical advice on everything wedding. One of our favorite things is posting about deals and ways to save, so check back often. It is our belief that with proper planning and know-how, every bride can have an exquisite wedding no matter her budget. It's all in the details...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother of the Bride, aka MOB

Mother's Day being this past weekend has gotten me to thinking about mom's and their role in their daughters' weddings. Traditionally, the father of the bride walks the bride down the aisle, has a special dance, and often makes a toast. However, there aren't any outstanding traditions when it comes to the mother of the bride. Thus, I think this aspect can often be overlooked when planning your wedding. I regret not honoring my mother more than I did on my wedding day.

So what does the mother the bride do? Well, for me my mom was my anchor. She was the person I talked to about every last little detail and stress. The person I shared every planning joy with. She hunted every store in the area for the perfect brown ribbon, even sending me numbered samples all the way in another state. She addressed all of my invitations in her beautiful handwriting and got creative making gift bags for all of the out of town guests. That is just this tip of the iceburg. I could go on for pages and pages about all that she did for me and my wedding. However, the greatest thing of all is that she was and is my best friend, there for me in every way.

My mom and I the morning of my wedding.

So while there aren't any traditions when it comes to moms and the actual wedding day, I encourage you to take a moment in your planning to find a way to honor your mom. Think of something personal, something that relates to your relationship. Maybe you could present her with a special keepsake and thank you during dinner. You may wish to incorporate a rose ceremony before your vows, where you and your fiance present a flower to each mother. Most importantly, ask your mom how she would like to be involved in your day.

To my mom, endless thank yous for all that you have done for me, on my wedding day, before, after, and all through my life. Thanks for being my biggest cheerleader. Thank you for teaching me how to be a strong and loving woman. Thank you for making my wedding day so special!


No comments: